The breeding of our fighting cocks is one of the most important parts where we must be be very careful for the gamefowls to grow up properly and develop to their maximum potential during their life. In the following guide you’ll learn from raising a rooster since it’s born, to level up fighting rooster in optimal conditions.
Gamefowl Breeding Guide
The breeding of the fighting cocks is a very pleasant activity that can give you great satisfactions but it’s also long and tedious and requires a full time attention. If you don’t have the time for it, don’t dedicate yourself to the breeding. Although, the good thing is that the breeding can become a successful business since there is a big and lucrative local market related to game fowl roosters.
Most commonly, many beginners initiate themselves into the gamefowls activities through family and friends. When they were asked about what they enjoy the most about the breeding, they answered that it is the joy of watching their birds win in the fences.
You have to acquire as much information as you can about the famous american gamefowl breeders, even before you buy just one rooster. You can start with visiting to experimented breeders and observe their raising methods. You can also learn much about the materials easily available and watch videos about the subject. If you are an Internet user, there’s a great number of websites about the fighting cocks that can give you part of the necessary information and you can also turn to your friends and ask them if they are dispose to share their knowledge and experiences about the breeding with you. But be careful, not everybody is going to want to share what they know with you. There is plenty of competition and envy between certain breeders, try to look for people that know about this passion and that are dispose to help others.
Start within your budget and with the correct planning
Plan the reproduction inside of the right times, budget and space. Through the course of the time, you can maintain your numbers down through the selective breeding and the incubation. You must be ready to sacrifice any inferior or defective animal, quality is more important than quantity. Prepare your yard for it to be in optimal conditions and never get more birds than the ones we can take care of.
Start out with the right bases
The saying goes “The end justifies the means”, and this might be true to some level due to the results of the fighting cocks breeding come a little later than others.
The experimented breeders have learned to raise winner gamefowls and they always say that the breeding becomes more and more expensive and useless when it’s started with cheap bases. That are cheap in the whole sense of the world.
The first rule is to make sure that the reproducers are adequate. During the election of the good breeding action, you must have in mind the following steps:
- Get the bloodlines from the breeders that have established their names in the field or the ones that are in a winning streak.
- Pick up the lines that bind with each other.
- If you can, find out which one is your family’s best bloodline.
- Try to look for the best source of the bloodline you need.
- When you have found the best source, try to obtain the best it can offer you, even if it is more expensive.
Specialize in just one or two races at much
The first thing to consider when your goal is to be a high quality breeder is to specialized yourself in one or two types of fighting rooster breeds maximum. This can be made through the selection of the bloodlines, consanguinity, and the infusion.
- The selection of the lines is the most common way of maintaining a strain. This is when a rooster is raised by his mother, grandmother or even great-grandmother or if a cheek is raised by her father, grandfather or great-grandfather. Raise their aunts, uncles or even their cousins; that will work too.
- The inbreeding is the brother-sister raising. It is important when it’s needed to accentuate or block some genes or characteristics of their strain.
- The crossing – when you cross 2 different families – the main goal of it is to produce agile rooster, this are the ones that are going to fight.
- The hybrid vigor is the main reason for the crossing. It is the way of raising an individual that is better, faster, stronger, smarter, and a pride for its parents.
How to get winner roosters
In order to learn how to get winner fighting roosters and from a good lineage, unfortunately there is no better way than the “try and failure”, even though it can be easier or more difficult depending on the person you call to orientate you in the subject. Here I give some little advices about how to obtain good fighting cocks:
- Select adequate stallions and hens, (from a good lineage), based on your requirements and never pick a rooster for any “good feeling” you may have. You have to be subjective, analyze properly what you want and what you have and if something doesn’t quite convinces you; change the reproducers.
- The food for fighting roosters is the principal base for your reproducers to be strong and healthy and they can have an equal or better offspring than them. Don’t be cheap with the food, just buy the one from the highest quality.
- Carrie out a vaccination program in the whole strain, as much as for the reproducers as for the offspring. Try to maintain your animals healthy. If a stallion or hen gets sick, get it out of the breeding lots and don’t use it that season, because it will most probably give you sick or mediocre animals.
- The vitamins for rooster fighting are the fundamental basis to help them develop their maximum potential. Remember, only vitamins from the highest quality.
- If any brood gets sick and doesn’t grows up well, discard it as a fighting cock and don’t use it for any fight because that animal will never get to its maximum potential.
I hope that this article has been helpful for you and I hope you have good results whenever you start the fighting cocks breeding. Remember, small details make great breeders.